Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Raw food only

For the next three days I will be eating raw food only. I have been working my way to this since Thur. of last week (5 days now) by not eating meat, and by eating about half my daily food as raw.

Why am I doing this? Honestly, I am overweight and I need to jump start losing weight.

Plus I need more energy and raw food (especially green smoothies) gives me lots of energy.

In addition to needing to lose weight and wanting more energy, I have been sick with digestive issues for years. Not to mention depression, and insomnia. All things that I think are relate to bad food choices and improper bacteria balance in my gut (and stress.)

I am coming to the realization that most of us (myself included) aren't eating much real food daily. Processed food processes out most of what are bodies need. It is sad, especially since these foods are so cheap. These foods are almost void of nutrients, and my body especially is screaming for these nutrients. It tells me so when I start to crave my green smoothies after missing a day.

So I have decided that I will eat raw food only for the next three days.

I bought some raw cashews for protein, but I am sure a few days without would be ok too.

Some other items on my list for the next three days are:

spinach
blueberries
strawberries
apples
brussel sprouts
flax seed
wheat grass
beets
extra virgin olive oil
apple cider vinegar
raw honey

This is what I have in house, but basically I can eat any fruit or veggie or raw (not cooked or heated in any way) nut or seed, as much as I want to feel satisfied. I can drink water, fresh juice, and green smoothies to my heart's desire.

I will not be eating:

any meat (cooked or raw)
any cooked food
any sugar
any processed food
pasteurized milks, cheeses, or juices
eggs (cooked or raw)

The only flaw in my plan, I just bought yummy gourmet marshmallows from Wholefoods. I will have to eat one tonight and hide the rest till Saturday.

Now, of course if I mess up no one will know, but I am doing this to get a jump start on my health, so I will only cheat myself if I do mess up.

If this stuff seems to intrigue you go to this site. I ordered the 12 step program and it is so good. It is about educating ourselves and eating real and raw food.

Tell me what you think.

-Becky

6 comments:

Becky said...

Wow! That's awesome - you are much braver than I :) Good luck!

Denise Punger MD IBCLC said...

Good for you. My office manager just did the 3 day GS challange.

HS @ Our Debt Blog said...

You need proteins, meats and eggs are great sources of protein... but do what ever works for you! what matters is you're doing something.

HS

Sisters of the Blog said...

I found for me eating whole food as close to 100% of the time as possible works best for me (i usually settle for 80%, but strive for 100).

If you have GI issues and bacterial imbalance in your gut, then i should think you'd need to supplement with probiotics and other supplements to restore balance. There's testing you can have done to determine what's going on and where you're lacking. Nope, the tests aren't cheap, and in my case, insurance covered a small bit the first time and none for follow-up.

I worked with my doc on that. The lab was a place called Metametrix. They look at the cellular level of things, which is far more indicative than the CBC (complete blood count)test. CBC tells you what's floating around in your bloodstream, but the cellular level test tells you what's actually getting into your cells. If you can't metabolize properly, the stuff in your bloodstream doesn't necessarily get used. As you metabolism heals, more of it does.

Very much a layman's description, that.

My doc looked at the results and developed a supplementation program for me to follow. We had a a follow-up visit three months out where i had the follow-up blood work, and the change was astounding. Also tweaked the supplementation. I didn't need as much and over time have needed much less. The weight was loathe to come off, though. glacial speed.

I found for me, my body works best with more protein, fat, and fewer carbs. Which was the exact opposite way i was eating when i found this out (i loved eating a high-carb, low-fat diet and was practically vegetarian).

Raw vs cooked not so much an issue. In winter and colder weather, i want more cooked foods; when it's warmer, i want more raw.

megan

Becky R said...

In Feb. I had lots of tests and bloodwork. They found nothing. After that I started taking Goodbelly probiotics and my digestive issues are now almost non existant. But now I need to get more energy and jumpstart the weight issue.

I know the carbs make me tired and have less energy so it makes sense to limit them.

I am trying to listen to my body and see what is helpful. But have felt for years that sugar is not something I should have (and have eliminated corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup, but I think I need to go completely no sugar at all.)

So far so good on day 1 of raw food only, I gave the marshmallows to my sister so they couldn't tempt me. lol.

Anonymous said...

I've had friends "go raw" from time to time and very much enjoy the foods they eat, though I haven't much been tempted to make it a way of life myself. David is now on the "caveman" diet, and I've been enjoying the results of that, too. I never liked grains anyway!

-Phoebe