Monday, April 5, 2010

Responding to a comment

I got this comment today:
Anonymous said...
"hey,

I check in on your blog all the time, and I find it very interesting. As an atheist, I disagree with A LOT (lol) of what you say, but I really appreciate your outlook and your adorable boys. I guess I was wondering, since we're pretty much opposite on the religious front, if you minded my reading your blog? I live in a religious area, and generally keep my atheism under wraps to avoid hurting my family. I wanted to take the opportunity to as a religious person anonymously, would you try to convert me if you knew me in real life? would you keep your kids away from me or my kids (assuming you were fine with me as a person, and then found out about my atheism?).

I hope this isn't too inappropriate or personal, but I figured you could just ignore or not publish the comment if you didn't want to answer. :-)

Thanks!"


Dear Anonymous,

Hello! First, let me thank you for reading my blog and commenting. I encourage readers of any beliefs to read my blog. I am glad anyone is reading it at all (lol.)

Second, I have many people in my life that have different beliefs and no beliefs at all. They all add value to my life. I would not avoid you because you don't believe as I do. Also, although I would not try and convert you, I would share things in my life and if I gave God glory would hope you were not offended. I would want you to share things in your life with me as well.

I hope that you are not experiencing prejudices for being an atheist.

I do think it is kind of you to respect your family and I hope they are doing that for you as well.

I would not keep my kids from you or your kids. My own brother was an atheist yet my boys and I loved him dearly.

If you were say a mass murderer than I may have my hesitations (lol.)

Your comment was not inappropriate or impersonal. I am happy to answer you and will be happy to answer any future questions as well, especially since you were so polite (that is a big deal for me, we can all disagree civally.)

Have a great day!

-Becky

1 comments:

Denise Punger MD IBCLC said...

Becky, That's a great answer. I am Jewish and enjoy reading your blog! I enjoy having friends of all backgrounds and my kids play with kids of all backgrounds.