Sunday, June 13, 2010

Fun, frugal treat

I bought some ice pop molds from Bed, Bath, & Beyond in May. I have been making green ice pops with spinach, strawberries, and bananas. I also made ones from fresh squeezed orange juice.
The other day I got a great seedless watermelon. I used half for a snack at co-op. Then we ate some of the other half, plus I pureed watermelon and put in ice pop molds. The kids loved them.

So one $3.99 watermelon made:
co-op snack for 10 kids and 4 adults
snack for home
12 large ice pops (I just made a second batch.)

I have seen boxes of 4-8 all natural frozen fruit ice pops for about $4.00, so I certainly have saved money by making my own.

Saving money is useless if the kids will not eat them, but my kids begged me to make the second batch, so these are a safe bet.

Side note: I did make a green smoothie with about 6 ounces watermelon juice, it was too sweet for me. Today I added about 2 ounces to my smoothie and it tasted much better to me.

-Becky

0 comments: