Saturday, June 7, 2008

I survived a mini vacation and working outside the home with cloth

Warning: this post talks about girl stuff!!!(really)

I wanted to share that I survived a mini vacation and working outside the home while using cloth menstrual pads. Last weekend I went away with my mom and I had my period, so not wanting to give up on my commitment to cloth I brought only my cloth pads. It was fine. I just put dirty ones in bag and washed all when I got home, it was no big deal. And this week I started my new office job and used the cloth pads at work too. I brought a mini bag that has two sides (all zippered and all waterproof) and put clean pads in one size and dirty in the other. It worked great. Mon. my flow was very heavy but my homemade pads from this great lady (who makes her pads and cloth diapers from home and sells them online) held up great, no leaks, and I was so comfortable.

So it can be done, I thought maybe it would only work since I worked from home, but it is almost no different from using disposables out of the home, except I have to bring them home and wash them. No big deal!

On a side note it has been about 5 months since I have been using cloth and they are great on my skin, they are so comfortable and so easy to care for. I just soak in cold water until I wash that day (or next day) and hang to dry. They are so much nicer on my sensitive skin than any disposables ever were. And it has been so nice not to have to go to the store and buy disposables in 5 months. How freeing!

Sorry to freak anyone out, but I discovered cloth pads on Permission to Mother's blog
and honestly I had never heard of or thought of them, but I am so glad I did. -Becky

3 comments:

Denise Punger MD IBCLC said...

I haven't used a disposable product in five years. I do have the DivaCup for internal use for water (and pads) to use with travel. I am glad the cotton products are working for you! Thanks for th eupdate. I don't think about it anymore either. It's just what I do.

Denise

Jeannette said...

Lets see how good you are, CAN you guess what I am thinking????

Unknown said...

Becky,

I've been using cloth pads for 3 or more years now. Though I'm a little more fickle and use both sea sponge tampons and organic paper disposables once in a while. My favorite pads are from lunapads.com -though they are admittedly expensive. I've purchased a bunch from ebay, too, and I know folks on etsy.com sell them. Not that you need to replace them, except perhaps for aesthetic reasons...

-Pho