Sunday, June 8, 2008

Birthday parties and Backyard carnival

Two weeks ago I had family & friends over for a barbecue, the weather was great, we all had a good time, and we had cake for Josh's 5th birthday. I should have left well enough alone, but he also wanted a friend party, so we decided to do a carnival. We had it in the yard yesterday. I had such a time getting the boys to help me get ready on Friday. It was crazy! I was thinking, this is not worth it, no one is having fun (least of all me.) But Sat. was great and all went well. My kids were very well behaved and the guests seemed to enjoy themselves too. It was a bit hot, but the kids did not mind (just us parents did.)

My mom & Scott did alot as well, my mom even painted a monkey and lion for kids to stick there heads in for a photo (I will use these as thank you cards for each child.)

As the children came my friend Joanna took there photo in lion or monkey head. Then the kids used fabric markers on a canvas tote bag (I bought a case of 36 online for like $40 dollars with shipping, the rest of the totes my kids will decorate for teachers for end of the year gifts.)

Each bag had 12 tickets in it, 1 for face painting, 1 for sand art, 10 for games.
I was doing sand art table (filling glass baby food jars, sand I had but you can buy at craft store or just use food coloring to color regular sand.)
An older sister of one of the guests was doing face and hand painting.
Then we had made a few games. Penny toss on our twister game board. We had toss across (the game you have to toss bean bags and get three in a row.) Ring toss (easily made with a stick, for rings cut plastic container lids into rings-like sour cream containers, etc.) Our fishing game was a variation, I froze prizes in empty yogurt containers and kids had to melt ice (pop out of containers and put in water)this was a welcome game on hot day-small balls are great to freeze. We also had a treasure hunt game (plastic Easter eggs with prizes inside hidden in sand box.)

We did bags, games, face painting, and sand art from 11-12. At 12:00 we served all the kids koolaid, hot dogs, and popcorn. Then we had cupcakes with animal crackers stuck in them. Then after lunch my awesome friend, Ann, did a puppet show. The kids really enjoyed that.

All in all it was a great relaxing party (not the day before that was not relaxing for me-lol!)

I especially want to thank: Mom, Scott, Ann, Joanna, Peter, Taylor, & Jason. You guys were awesome helping with food, games, etc.

And the best part was that it was pretty inexpensive (of course prizes added up, each kid got 8-10 small prizes.) So it was worth it. Next time I will try and remember to relax, how come this is not so easy to do (for me anyway?) -Becky

Jason & Peter watching puppet show
Ann doing puppet show
Joanna
Josh doing penny toss
Josh doing sand art
Jason with his stand-ring toss
Mom & Scott
Scott doing fishing & treasure hunt

1 comments:

Anita said...

WOW! Looks like you all had a blast. Cool birthday party idea:)