Saturday, February 6, 2010

Homemade dish soap


So I just made 4 bottles of dish soap (to wash dishes by hand, not in dishwasher. I also made dishwasher soap, but am tweaking the recipe before I post it here.)








Here is how I made the dish soap:
supplies
-shredded soap scraps (I used organic soap scraps I bought online from someone who makes them and shredded them with my old cheese grater that I now only use for soap and wax)
-water
-vinegar or lemon juice
-essential oils (optional) for scent

1. Place 2 cups of soap shavings into a large pot.
2. Add 4 cups of hot water and cook until all soap is dissolved.
3. Stir the mixture until it becomes smooth. Add more water to reach the desired consistency (you will add about 5 more cups water.)
4. Add 1 cup of white vinegar to help fight grease. Optional add lemon juice or an oil for scent.(I added tea tree oil and some lemon juice.)
5. When it cools put in old dish soap bottle.
5. Shake well before using.

I bought a box of organic soap scraps from someone online for about $10 which included shipping. I only used a small bit for making this dish soap. So I estimate I used $4 worth of ingredients to make 4 bottles of dish soap that is all organic. I also added tea tree to kill germs. I usually pay $4 for 1 bottle of Seventh Generation dish soap, so by making my own I saved about $12. Not too bad. Plus I am reusing old bottles which makes me feel good as well. The true test will be how well it cleans dishes that I hand wash.

If you make homemade dish soap how do you do it?

-Becky

4 comments:

MomMom said...

I googled how to make dish soap and found you. Thanks for sharing. I just made my first batch. I am looking forward to your dishwasher soap recipe when you post it. What a neat blog and great name you have for it. Kudos to you and your adorable sons for doing things the Lord's way.

Becky R said...

Hi Rachel. Welcome to my blog. I am glad to have you read it. I hope the dish soap works for you.

Anonymous said...

You are so awesome!

Anonymous said...

It is certainly interesting for me to read that post. Thank you for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read more soon.

Julia Swenson