Tuesday, February 16, 2010

I cheated

[I am stealing a blog title from my awesome friend, Courtney.]

You all have read how I try to live very frugally and green. How I have only cleaned with vinegar, lemon, baking soda, borax, and washing soda over past few years. I do this mostly because the smell of chemicals gives me a huge headache. Also to save money, and to be a good steward of earth God gave us.

Well, today I cheated. I was helping clean Eric's house as it is going on market and all stuff needs to be removed asap. Well, he had lots of cleaners. The frugality in me would not allow them to go to the garbage. So I took them all home. I was going to bring them to co-op and put on the free table. But my sink has been stained with all the stuff I put in it. My vinegar was not cutting it. So I filled the sink with hot water and poured what was left of a bottle of Clorox cleaner (with added bleach) into it. I let it sit about 15 min. Then I drained the sink. WOW! My sink has not looked that clean since my grandmother lived here. No scrubbing on my part at all! I am not converting back though as the smell did give me a headache. Plus made me really thirsty (weird right?)

But I just had to confess that I cheated, since I actually feel guilty or maybe that feeling is a high from the fumes. LOL!

-Becky

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm with you. It would have been wasteful to simply throw them away! Glad you got some good use out of them, even if you won't be converting anytime soon!

Jeannette said...

You are on notice that I have notified the cleaning chemical police and they will be confiscating your cleaning supplies and your cloth thingies,, ha ha

Anonymous said...

HA!! It's okay!

Mrs. Money said...

LOL I would feel guilty too. At least the stuff didn't go to waste. Sometimes I want to use bleach in my laundry and then I chicken out. I think it's fine to do every once in awhile. :)

Sisters of the Blog said...

I would have done the same thing, Becky. I use bleach very sparingly. I have a septic tank and don't want to kill all the good bugs. But, when i found a mouse nest in the sauna, DH kindly removed the nest, and i made a strong bleach solution and after soap and water all over everything, i rinsed, then used the bleach water on everything. There are simply times where one must disinfect.

if you have staining in the sink, Barkeeper's Friend or BonAmi might be good to use. Some scrubbing is required. BKF might dry out your hands.

megan