Thursday, February 25, 2010

Homemade pancakes

We are trying to eat more from scratch, and use up all the food in our house before food shopping again. Today for a yummy lunch I made pancakes. The recipe is so simple. I made 4 times the amount so we could have pancakes for breakfast next few days as well.

Ingredients (for about 8 pancakes:)
1 cup flour (I used half whole wheat, half white)
1 tablespoon sugar (or sugar substitute, honey, etc.)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla (optional)

oil or butter to coat frying pan / griddle
syrup, sugar, or fruit to top (optional)

Directions:
Turn on stove top to medium. Add oil or butter to pan. Put pan over flame.

Recipe calls to mix dry ingredients in one bowl, and wet in another. Then add wet to dry bowl. But I just added everything to one bowl, to save having to clean another bowl.

Mix. I used a wooden spoon. Batter will remain a bit lumpy.

Pour small circles shapes into frying pan or unto griddle.

When pancakes are bubbly and edges are slightly dry, flip over pancakes.
Cook for about a minute more.



Add syrup, sugar, fresh fruit, or butter for a yummy meal.
You could even pair with eggs, bacon, fruit, homemade hash browns, etc. to make a breakfast dinner. This is a fun and frugal thing to do.



By the way I love cut up apples in my pancake batter or chocolate chips. And if you use metal cookie cutters you can make fun pancake shapes.

Now I am going to make homemade bread and some Spanish rice and chicken for dinner. I think it is fun experimenting in the kitchen, too bad most of my experiments are not as yummy as my pancakes were today. LOL.

-Becky

0 comments: