Friday, July 9, 2010

Did pretty good with food shopping

We went food shopping yesterday. I spent $150 and got about 10 days worth of breakfasts, lunches, and dinners. I also got some snacks.

Each meal includes fruit or veggies. And we have protein for each meal.

I got so much organic stuff. I even got organic all natural frozen pizzas for only $4 something each. Each pizza will be two meals (for one person.)
I got organic free range ground turkey for $3 a lb. I got an organic chicken for about $6. I also got organic free range grass feed beef for hamburgers for about $6 (was delicious.)
I also got fresh Jersey corn and blueberries, although not organic, for super cheap.
I got organic brown rice. I got organic pasta sauce, and cans of organic tomato paste, tomatoes, and sauce to make my own sauce as well.
I got organic chips for myself, with regular salsa (Tostito brand is my favorite.)
The boys each got one item junk. Jason got chips (not healthy or organic.) Josh got popcorn. I also got organic microwave popcorn.

Last night I made the organic burgers with wheat rolls, the Jersey corn, and zucchini from a friends garden. Yum! It was a super delicious dinner.

The $150 I spent is a bit over budget, but I am super happy that 85% of what I bought was organic. Plus I still have $250 for food for the rest of the month. If what I bought yesterday last ten days, that will take me to July 19th. I will then need to buy for twelve more days after that. If I spend another $15 a day that will be $180, and I will have about $70 for some bulk purchases. That's not too bad.

$15 a day is much better than the $15 I spent for one meal the other day.

We also spent $10 on treats for our bird and the dog we are dog sitting. But that did not come out of food budget.

I feel very good about my shopping trip.
Now I have to make some bread to go with some of the meals I have planned.

-Becky

1 comments:

Carlee said...

Hi Becky! I haven't commented in a while, but I do read your blog all the time still. I am starting a cooking blog, for busy, healthy (usually :o)) moms like us. Since you like to cook on a budget and healthy too, will you look at it and give me some feedback? Thanks!

www.3moosemunch.blogspot.com

Carlee Russell