Monday, July 26, 2010

Non essential spending

In addition to the unbugeted for stuff I usually end of spending monthly (which I have to stop) I have three items in my budget that are non essential and not fixed:

offering
allowance
phone/cable

My heart will not allow me to stop the offering as I believe God calls me to give that.
The allowance, although could be cut if needed, really is a great tool for the kids. They tithe, save, and have spending. I am not feeling lead to stop this either.

However, I spend $60 a month on phone/internet. I barely use my home phone. If I cancel the phone only it only reduces the bill by $10. If I cancel both, I no longer pay the $60 a month. I know phone and internet are not necessities, but I grapple with this as I am on the internet daily. I love blogging, but is it worth $50 a month. I can blog for free at library.

I am praying about this because I also think I should be giving some of this computer time to the Lord. But without cable and internet I might go insane. We also use the internet as a tool for homeschooling. But again the library would also fill that need.

I am going to look into cheaper internet options for the home and continue to pray about this as well.

-Becky

2 comments:

HS @ Our Debt Blog said...

Could you maybe get a 3g plan with your cell phone? and use one of those USB stick on your computer/laptop? this way you can cancel home phone and just go with cell phone only. Cable you can get over the air in HD quality. All you really need is ABC, CBS, FOX etc.

Becky R said...

It is $30 more a month to get internet on my cell. And I think then I would need an updated phone as well.

We don't get any tv as ours is old and doesn't get the new digital air waves (we bought a converter box but didn't know we had to get an antenna as well.)

I just went to the library to see if I could blog, but don't think that will be a very realistic option in between keeping eye on kids and such, so I think I will just keep internet for now.