Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Hacked

My debit card (linked to my checking account but with a Visa logo to be used as a credit card as well) was hacked into and I have lots of unauthorized charges on my account. Because this is my checking account it also put that account in the negative and I can't use any of the money currently taken. The bank was little help. They did cancel the card, but I have to wait about two weeks to get the money back (if the bank feels they were fraudulent charges.) So right now I have about $100 that I can't touch. Hopefully I will get it back and not have to pay all the fees as well.

Fortunately I have paid most of July's bills already. I do still have to pay gas bill, phone/Internet bill, and my water bill, but I have not even received the bills yet (I like to pay my bills before or when they arrive.)

It just frustrates me more than anything. I went to buy Vacation Bible School supplies today and had to use a gift card the boys had (I will pay them back, but I wanted to get my supplies, since Vacation Bible School is soon.)

I do have two other checking accounts with two other banks (one is a business account since I am self employed.) So when I get paid on Sat. I can deposit the check into another account. I don't want to deposit any money into the hacked account in case that gets taken too.

Has anyone had any account info. compromised or any accounts used without your knowledge?

-Becky

7 comments:

Carlee said...

So sorry to hear that. We had that happen to us once. It's very frustrating. The bank, by law, should reimburse you. It might not hurt to call VISA also and ask them what they suggest. Credit card purchases--even if linked to bank accounts--are often covered very well. We had to keep on the bank. Called them every couple days to check on the status, went in a few times so they could see our faces.

Insist the bank closes that account all the way, so you get a whole new account number. Once it's been compromised, it's not safe.


You have been very inspiring in how you have seen your money as the Lord's, have given generously, and have lived so frugally. I am confident the Lord will provide even though you know you need that money.

Tina said...

Oh, Becky, that is awful. I don't understand how people can be so evil..well I do, but I hate it.

You work so hard at doing the right things and this just makes me angry for you. I honestly don't know what to do. The bank should be more of a help to you. But now it makes me wonder who one would turn to. Is there any info on dpl that you could use?

On another note, what VBS theme are you doing? We had Saddle Ridge Ranch and it was just so cool. We built a corral around the alter/podium of the sanctuary and wrote brands all over it..it was just a blast. The music is so much fun too. Oh and the crafts were great this year as well.

I just had a thought, did you tell any of the people in your church what happened? Did you let your pastor know? It could be that someone there might have an answer for you. What does Mom say to do?

I don't know why, but this is really making me upset for you, I just feel really bad and it irks me that people are so dishonest.

Let me know if you find out what to do and trust that I will be praying for you!

Blessings...Tina

Jeannette said...

That stinks, I am sorry this happened, What do you need from me?
Do you think the bank has a good security system in place?

Becky said...

I have never had that happen, but that really stinks!

Becky R said...

I am confident the bank will eventually reimburse, and it is not a big deal as I have the other two checking accounts and almost all my July bills paid already. It was more of a an inconvenience.
If, however, I wasn't carefully budgetting and planning or if this was before my other bills cleared it might be alot worse.
I did close the debit card linked to the account, but can not close the actual checking account until it is not in the negative anymore.

Tina, at VBS we are doing the same theme. I am so excited. Do you have any decorations left over you could send (I would pay shipping.) I am teaching the 2-4 year old class. I ust bought new finger paint yesterday to use with them. Fun!

Mom, it is TD bank but someone or some company got my numbers (probably online or at gas station.) Funny thing is in last two weeks I have used only cash. But they could have bought my number on a list or something.
I am fine, just annoyed.

Unknown said...

We've had it happen twice. Once, my wallet was stolen and the thief used the card literally minutes after it was stolen (while I was filing the police report). The second time, both my husband and I still had our cards in hand and were baffled to find out that some of the purchases made by the thief had actually involved a swiped card (rather than an online transaction). The police said that there are ways for thieves to steal not only the number, but the info coded in the magnetic strip as well. This can be done if your card is out of your sight for even a minute or two. It's very inconvenient, but our bank was very helpful and processed the fraud claims very quickly. I hope yours goes smoothly as well!

Joanna said...

that sucks! i haven't had it happen but my friend used her credit or debit card at a local gas station and the information was apparently stolen and sold to some people in the south...they ran up thousands of dollars in charges at department stores in one day, then topped it off with dinner at macaroni grill (which is funny...kinda) then the bank/credit card company gave her a really hard time, and even suggested to her that her husband might have been using the card without her knowledge!