Monday, April 28, 2008

Are used gifts acceptable?

Let me preface this by saying, if someone saw something in a thrift shop or at a yard sale that I would like, and gave it to me as a gift for my birthday or Christmas, or any other reason, I would be fine with that. I like used stuff, in fact I almost prefer it. I like to keep things out of landfills and find new uses for stuff.
I just got a huge bag of books, and things from a friend. We have alot so I can't use it all, but I thought some of these books and things are in really good condition and would make good gifts. With all the kid's birthday parties we are invitted to it is a tempting thought. But is this tacky? Is it frugal or cheap? I thought if I pair say a used (but looks new) children's book with a gift card or something. I am not sure. I feel like it would be looked upon as strange. I think our sociey is getting so materialistic. My kids have so much as well. And we really got rid of alot when we moved. We got rid of half our toys, books, etc to move here. But I am still in love with books. We have 3 bookshelves filled with Children's books and still about 10 boxes in shed and attic (I rotate books by season, so winter, fall, and summer books are away.) We love to read and spend lots of time doing it, but still sometimes I feel books are taking over. Especially when we could go to library and take out as many books as we want.
Anyway, back to my original question, are used gifts or even regifts tacky, cheap, frugal, ok sometimes, etc? Let me know what you think? Thanks! -Becky

10 comments:

jackson's mama said...

yes & no...if you are friendly with the parents, then yes because they know you & will probably appreciate the gift, where as another parent you don't know may look at it kind of funny, especially because they have invited your child over & paid for the food & party junk....i love the idea, but i know you & i know how to appreciate recycled things:)
although if you did pair it with a gift card or something themed that goes along with the book, like if it's about the beach, buy a towel & sand toy...you know:)
hope that helps:)
it was awesome talking to you on friday:)

Becky R said...

that is exactly what I was thinking. It is ok if you know them and I was thinking of taking a summer book and pairing with a summer gift or gift card (ice cream stand, mini golf, etc.) I guess what really gets me is how much we have and how little we (especially our kids) appreciate.
I loved talking to you Friday and miss and love you!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx said...

It's weird because I think people associate the words "gift" and "used" with 2 completely different meanings. "Gift" implies "new" but you would think if it's "new" to the recipient that would be good enough! ;) I agree that it depends on the recipient. What I find very odd about our society and gift-giving is how the people you are close to are the ones who accept used or even no gifts. For years around the holidays I was spending all this money on the friends/family I see only a couple times a year, which meant everyone else got the shaft! I put a stop to it finally because it's ridiculous. Anyway I do think that pairing the books with something else like you said is a fine idea for a gift for recipients who you know will appreciate a green gift.

Becky R said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becky R said...

I know, last year I spent so much on Christmas for those outside my immediate circle (people I knew would get us a gift, teachers, etc.) Yet I spent only about $20 on my immediate family and only about $50 on each of my kids. I am going to try and do very little this year. If I appreciate someone I am going to write them a letter, plus I am going to make one donation to a charity and let those I appreciate know that I did so. Thanks for the comment.
p.s. I already have a used gift I am waiting to give you that I know you will like.

Anonymous said...

I personally LOVE used gifts... but other people are a different story.

Salzwedel Family said...

I think it all depends on the person. I personally think it is OK. I think the gift giving has gotten out of control crazy. People think you need to give a gift to every person for every occasion. Is it because we really care or because we have to keep up appearances? I think books are a lovely gift - new or used.

Becky R said...

I think instead of a gift write a note of appreciation (except when it is my birthday MOM, then I still want a gift-lol.)
Seriously our society has gotten out of hand, but me personally I love to give gifts. I like thinking about others. What I don't like are all the obligatory gifts.
I think the best gifts though are those of time and love (a meal prepared, cleaning a friend's house, etc.)

nisha said...

If it looks new, no one needs to know it isn't. If it's jewelry or clothes, it's not "used," it's "vintage," which makes the item sound even cooler. I got my favorite bracelet at a thrift store for $1, and would have been absolutely thrilled (and clueless of its used status) had it been a gift.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx said...

just another thought i had, one of your friends' comments made me think of it.
in the past when i was strapped for cash i have actually given people things of my own as gifts. even stuff out of my car! and the recipients have laughed and enjoyed the funny experience and even told me years later that they still have the little plastic deer or whatever i gave them! :) if i bought them a scented candle would they remember it as fondly?
i also gave my friend a birthday gift once that was a dvd that i'd had for months but never opened the shrinkwrap. other people gasp with horror when i tell them that - but that doesn't count as used does it?? and btw he loved it.