Monday, April 14, 2008

I need suggestions

I know when to chose my battles with my kids, I can't fight over everything. If they want to wear pj's everyday or clothes that do not match. I am ok with that. But Joshua refuses to take any medication. He is supposed to take his allergy medicine everyday, refuses. Now he has a fever and needs Tylenol, but he refuses. I know it may seem who is the boss? But how can you force a kid to chew something. The only thing I can do is get liquid, put it in a dropper, forcibly hold him, hold his nose and put the dropper in the back of his throat. He may look small but it is near impossible for me as one person to hold his arms and legs down and give him the medicine. Plus I feel like I am torturing him. But I want him to feel better, hence the medicine. I have tried bribes, I have tried rewards. He does not like the taste of any medicine so he will not take them.
Does anyone else have this problem? What do you do? I need suggestions, as I am very frustrated as he really needs the allergy medicine. The Tylenol I will do without because I do believe a fever is our body at work to rid ourselves of germs and viruses. But the poor kid has really bad allergies in spring and fall. He gets headaches and earaches and such. He at 4 does not understand the medicine will make him feel better.
So I am at a loss, help! -Becky

2 comments:

jackson's mama said...

spike his food, he'll never know:) & if it's a pill roll it up in cheese like we used to do for our dog!

Jeannette said...

tell him grandma will buy him a new toy,, oh wait, grandma doesn't have any money,never mind, Good luck, I tried taking the medicine with him, but the little devil dog tricked me by the way it is awful