Monday, May 19, 2008

I am shocked!

Let me preface this by saying I do have an emergency fund (3 months living expenses), and my summer trip money, and house painting money put aside. But I was going over my bills and was shocked to realize I spent $605.00 this month on stuff I was not planning on or did not budget for. And the month is not even over yet.

$9.00 -Netflix
$26.00-offering for families in process of adoption
$39.00-post office mailing stuff
$52.00-tote bags (to use for kids to make as gifts)
$4.00-snapfish photos
$9.00-gift for a little girl
$40.00-QVC (impulse purchase, may return)
$50.00-accessory kit for QVC impulse purchase (also may return)
$9.00-Blockbuster renting 2 movies
$16.00-accidentally returned Blockbuster movie to Netflix, owe Blockbuster
$79.00-Mother's day gift
$122.00-renter's insurance (for entire year)
$20.00-more adoption donations
$7.00-Wawa snacks
$20.00-Foodtown snacks
$4.00-Five Below boy birthday gift
$6.00-Dunkin Donuts
$44.00-Loewe's (rod for closet, garden gloves, batteries, ant traps, and bird seed)
$24.00-Buggy Bumpers another baby gift for new brother
$26.00-frame for new poster in room at AC Moore

$605.00-total

I write this because I am ashamed and for accountability. Some of this stuff was necessary (like the renter's insurance) but should have been budgeted for. Some was only necessary so Josh could attend two friends parties (but I think the $4 & $9 were great deals and nice gifts.) The tote bags also was a good deal and we will paint them for teacher's end of the year gifts. But still this should have been budgeted for. The snacks and movies absolutely not necessary and should not have been purchased or rented. The library has free movies, why should I pay. The room stuff should also have been budgeted for.
I guess it just shocks me how all the little stuff adds up. I never would have guessed I spent that much. I estimated I spent $200 with out the renter's insurance, but it was about $480 without the renter's insurance. On gifts, snacks, and movies, basically most of which we did not NEED! The QVC stuff I may return.
I really have to buckle down as in two weeks I am losing half my income. I can't keep spending frivolously this way. You may be wondering where this money came from, it was mostly my economic stimulus money that I should have moved out of my checking. I would have preferred to use this to increase my savings or at least take a mini vacation. Well, it will just have to be a lesson to me to pay more attention and plan a little better next time. I just have to keep striving to do it right. Thank God for a new day tomorrow and another chance! -Becky

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I've definitely experienced "disappearing money syndrome!" Most of mine goes to food, though.

-Phoebe