Tuesday, May 20, 2008

What to keep?

Hi! I have always loved to write. And I have every journal I ever kept, but as I have rediscovered them and reread them I wonder why I want bad memories around. I mean some of the stuff makes me sad and mad, should I just get rid of them? Most of the stuff I had long forgotten, should it stay that way? Should the past just be in the past?
I am so grateful though for my new life in Christ and His grace and mercy and forgiveness, and all the second chances He has given me.

So what are you holding on to and should I get rid of the journals I have had from age 10-now? My journals, not the ones I have kept for the kids all about them. -Becky

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm holding on to old pictures and stories that I drew, all the way back to age 7 or so. I also have all of my journals (not that there's that many.) While I'll let other things cycle in and out of my life, those I'll keep until they turn to dust.

I would vote against your throwing out your old journals. They are a map of who you were, and are, and I can't imagine that attempting to throw out one's history is ever a good thing. My opinion is that a person cannot hide from who they were. Better to embrace one's past for what it was, and move forward, but keep the tokens of what was as a gauge, a written account -a reminder.

Perhaps put those old journals away some place where you won't bump into them, or be tempted to dig them out, for many, many years?

-Phoebe

Anita said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog...I'll be sure to check yours regularly! As for your question...hmmm...hard to answer. I threw mine out, but then again, I throw everything out.