Wednesday, May 7, 2008

internet dating

What do you all think of Internet dating? It seems to be more and more popular. I met Duane from NE online (eharmony) and his brother met his wife on eharmony as well. What are some good rules? How long should you chat before you meet? Do you ask for references? What is acceptable? Do you meet only locals or all over? Are paid dating sites better than free ones? I am not personally looking myself just wondering what you all think. I actually am dating the guy from NE, if you can really date someone who lives 1,200 miles away. I like that we have taken lots of time to get to know each other via email, phone, and written letters. Yes, he writes me real letters, and I do as well. I love to write and I love to receive letters so it is nice to do. It is so 90's (lol), but I enjoy it. It is nice to talk to someone and get to know them without stressing over appearance or physical stuff. But still I wonder is it all real? Do we fill in the blanks for what we don't see but want to be there?
Duane and I emailed, talked on phone, and wrote letters and exchanged photos from Aug. 11th-Dec. 29th before we met in person. He flew here. Honestly it was weird. His plane was a day and a half delayed for bad weather and it was really late when he finally got here Sat. night and he left on Sunday. After he left I was ready to give up on him and online dating for a bit, but I prayed and did not get that from God, so we continued to talk. I was hesitant and guarded (which I still am) but realized that I was mad at him for stuff he had no control over, bad weather and me being so tired, and my plans being changed ( I like my plans, but I need to like God's more.) So I got over the first meeting and eventually we had another (I wrote about it in post: Not to go into too much detail.)

Anyway it is good now and I am enjoying things as they go. What about you and your experiences with online dating? -Becky

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Becky, It is so nice that you are dating. I participate in online blogs, not dating ones. (Uncle Dilip is relieved). I would say that I am a bit different online then in person. You are more relaxed online then in person. You can say anything when you are not looking directly into people's faces and eyes. Your cousin in Nevada has met a really nice, Italian guy online.

Jeannette said...

Hey I met Scott online, so I guess its doable
now how to put him back on line that is the questin
lol