Friday, May 2, 2008

Wow

Hi! My brother and I are taking my kids to Ohio to visit my grandparents this summer at the end of July. As kids we went to there cabin on the lake often, but I have not been there in about seven years now, and I have only seen my grandparents once in the past few years. Sadly they are not going to be able to keep up the cabin home much longer as there health is failing, so I really want to get there this year. We have to rent a car as neither of us has a car that we can depend on driving to Ohio. I looked into renting and am shocked by the prices.

For a full size car:
20.00 day collision (my policy is only liability and I won't risk having to repair a rental)
5.00-homeland security fee (so they can check that I am not a terrorist)
10.00-additional driver fee (so my brother and I can both drive rental)
35.00-full size car per day
______
$70.00 a day plus 7% NJ sales tax

For a minivan:
20.00-insurance
5.00-homeland security fee
10.00-additional driver fee
90.00-per day
______
$125.00 a day plus 7% sales tax

No way can I afford the minivan. That is crazy!!!

I forget to mention, you get 150 miles free a day, any after that are .25 cents a mile. I am sure we will go over 600 miles. AHHHHH!!! Not to mention we need gas for the trip ( I have budgeted $200 for gas). I am so glad we will have no hotel and food costs as we are staying with my grandparents.

My idea of a frugal vacation is to stay home and walk to the free beach. But it is important for us to see my grandparents.

Anyone planing any trips this summer? -Becky

0 comments: