Monday, March 17, 2008

Cloth Menstrual Pads

Hi!
At the risk of freaking some people out, I feel I must confess that I use cloth menstrual pads. After researching cloth diapers and purchasing a starter kit for a friend as a baby shower gift (she wanted to use cloth) I learned about cloth mama pads. It made sense to me. One, I have very sensitive skin and have had rashes from plastic disposable pads; two' financially it makes sense (a set of cloth pads was about as much as a years worth of disposables -sale price- and they will last 3-5 years, saving me over $200, even if they only last 3 years!); and three, the environment. Disposable diapers and menstrual pads sit in land fills almost forever. I know I use about 30-40 disposable pads every cycle (I have a 7-8 day cycle.) Think of this times 12, then times about 25 years. YIKES! Gross. The same with cloth diapers think of what you throw away every day times 365 times 3 years. EWWW! But even if health & finances are your main reasons for switching to cloth, it makes sense.

The nitty gritty: they are easy to wash, I soak in a bucket of cold water until I wash them and they come out fine. I throw in with towels, or wash alone. I dry on line, but most can be machine dried. Line drying kills germs, as will the dryer. You can Google mama cloth and get lots of sites with useful information and many work at home mom's who make mama cloth. So as an added bonus is you will be supporting a work at home mom too. I recommend:
Mother of Eden Comfort Pads (these are not from a work at home mom, but my favorite pads!) and
www.primmnproperbaby.com work at home mom who makes great mama cloth and cloth diapers

Order cloth pads that are similar to the disposables you buy. Do you get wings, then get cloth with wings. Do you buy extra long? Buy cloth that are 12", 13", or 14".

Email me if you have any other questions.-Becky

great site with more info. http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~obsidian/clothpads/padindex.html

1 comments:

MikKnits said...

Hi Becky,

Like you, I just began using the cloth pads. I found them so easy to use and had quite a stash of cool fabrics that I'm finding them so much fun to use. I also found that most of the people I've told are so grossed out. One lady "friend" told me she was "mortified"! I couldn't believe the reactions. I won't let them deter me, though. I'm glad I switched. Keep up the good work!