Saturday, March 1, 2008

on and on

Feb. 14th 2007, Valentines Day, a day of love and happiness, candy and hearts, and ... an ice storm, oh and a slip on that ice by me. That was not a fun day for me as the boys and I walked up the hill (we were living in an apartment at that time) to my cousin's for dinner, and on the way home I slipped and fell. I could not get up. Joshua started to cry. I made Jason walk him home slowly. I finally managed to get myslef up and drag myself home (the usual 3 min. walk took about 30.) The pain was miserable. After dragging myself up 3 flights of stairs I made Jason put Joshua to bed and get me some frozen peas to put on my ankle. I figured it was sprained and would be better in the morning. I barely got any sleep that night as every time I moved an inch painful sensations shot up my leg. In the morning my mom called to see if Jason had school. I was still laying in bed and was not moving so I forgot about my ankle. I casually mentioned to my mom that I had fallen last night, then I tried to get up. I could not believe the pain and looking down at my ankle was disgusted, it was huge. My mom said she would take me to emergency room. I did not want to go, but could not stand the pain.
Of course after waiting I discovered I had broken my ankle. Diagnosis, hard cast and crutches. I broke down in the emergency room. I lived on the 3rd floor and watched children for a living. How would I do that? How would I take care of my own kids?
For the next few days I was still in alot of pain and not sure what to do. My mom helped with my boys and it was a weekend so I had no daycare kids. But I needed a plan for the upcoming weeks.
The amazing thing is once I started to ask so many people helped. For about 6 weeks I had someone from church there with me to watch daycare kids. They did not ask for pay or make me feel bad about it, they just helped. Others food shopped for me, while still others cleaned my house. My mom took care of the boys after work and in am and weekends as well. It was amazing.
After much intense itching and me being so humbled, I mean I could barely shower without help. My hard cast came off, and I got a walking cast. But I also got more bad news, the ankle did not appear to be healing properly. Talk of surgery was mentioned, I panicked again, but opted for the let's wait and see approach.

Fast forward to Jan. 2008. Now, completely free of any and all casts it was evident that I still have not healed. Simple things like playing on the floor with the kids, and aerobics are painful. My doctor said this is not normal, I should be able to resume normal activities by now, so the wait and see is no longer an option, I must have the surgery.
More on that to come......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry. How awful!!!

Duane said...

Your going to be fine. Christ has never left you.