Thursday, March 6, 2008

On and on part 2

Well, back to pending surgery. Yikes, it has been crazy. I have had to get a lawyer because I can't afford surgery and all this craziness. As I was saying I need to have surgery, but my health insurance denied payment. My lawyer is trying to get the complex were I fell to pay. They offered us $8,000. The doctor alone is $8,000, the anthestialogist is $3,000, and the surgery center is over $10,000. Um, that $8,000 will not cut it. So my lawyer tries to get the doctor and surgery center to take a $1,000 deposit and letter of protection that they will get paid out of settlement (which will come in about 3 years.) The doctor says yes, but the surgery center says no way. They can't take that kind of risk. I understand there side, but where does that leave me?
Get this, my lawyer says, "Can't you just borrow the $10,000?" Can you see my face, eyes bugged out, mouth wide open, dumbfounded expression on my face. WHAT? I said I will see what I can do. What kind of world does he live in? I don't know anyone I could borrow $1,000 from, let alone $10,000. That is 1/2 my entire income for 2007! AHHHHHHH!
So do you have $10,000 I can borrow? Really?
So now I can not have the surgery, so I have to deal with my slight ankle discomfort for the rest of my life.
Please pray because I am going to appeal with my health insurance so maybe they will do it (but of course I will not get to keep my doctor, who I am really comfortable with. Oh and the surgery will probably be in an alley somewhere.)
Also my lawyer is going to try and get the surgery covered somehow, so pray for that as well. Or pray that I would know God does not want me to have surgery and be at peace with that as well. I hate being in limbo and not knowing. My surgery is still scheduled for March 31st, so I can't plan anything after that right now because I may be recovering. At least it gets me motivated to clean my house and paint the bathroom, so it will be done by then. Again though, ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! -Becky

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully the appeal will go well and I hope everything works out, it usually does somehow! I was hospitalized last March for 13 days and we had NO insurance and thus left with the $40,000 bill. Well its been about a year and God worked it out, its a long story but God works it out and sometimes we go through things we might not understand but it all works to the good of those that love the Lord! ;)

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about your insurance difficulties. I don't know if this will help, but for an expensive dental procedure I need to have done, I was given care credit, a company that deals with just medical procedures. There is no interest at all the first year and payments are very minimal. However, we are talking only like 2,000. Have been praying for you and I am sure things will work out.

HS @ Our Debt Blog said...

You are always in my thoughts, I really admire you, don't worry something will work out.

Only in American is a surgery this expensive, how sad...