Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Break Up Songs


Usually couples have a song that is there's. I have some of them, but this post is about my break up songs.










I have had four boyfriends. I started dating my first boyfriend in 7th / 8th grade. We dated until the week I graduated high school (June 1996.) Shortly after I started community college, I started dating my second boyfriend (Jason's dad.) We dated until Jason was 10 months old (Oct. 1998.) Four years later I had my third boyfriend, who later became my husband (in Sept. 2002.) And then even later my ex husband (in 2006.) Finally I had my 4th boyfriend, Duane, who you all have have seen posts and pictures of in this blog. But as of last night he too is an ex. So once again I am in my listening to the same song over and over mode, I call this my break up song.

Here is the run down:

First boyfriend- I will always Love You by Whitney Houston, and it is true I do still love him (in a you were my first love, innocent way, not a I want to get back with him way.)
Jason's dad- You Were Mine by Dixi Chicks
Josh's dad- Pictures by Kid Rock and Cheryl Crow (especially the line "I was headed to church, I was off to drink you away.")
Now- We've Go Tonight by Kenny Rogers and Sheena Easton (because I feel like the time we had was good, but never really meant to be) and Don't Fall in Love with a Dreamer also by Kenny Rogers

Of course I am sad. I am sad about my life. I am sad that Eric is gone. I am sad that I spent the past two years building a dream with someone without really seeking God's will for my life. I am sad that I can't get this relationship thing right. I am sad that I gave part of my heart to each of these boyfriends. But for some reason part of my healing is listening to my break up song until it doesn't make me so sad anymore.

It will happen one day. Songs #1-3 bring my memories, but no longer reduce me to tears.

But for now, I think it is ok just to be sad.

-Becky

7 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

I'm sorry you are sad, but sometimes doing the right thing is painful but the results produce good fruit. I'm praying for you.

Jeannette said...

how about 400 children crossing the field?

Carlee said...

I remember all my break up songs too...those as you said they now hold distant memories not pain.

So sorry you are hurting. It takes a strong person to admit when they are not doing the right thing, and an even stronger one to change what they are doing.

I will pray that the Lord brings a godly, loving man into your life in His perfect timing. And until then, I will pray that He is your "husband"--your provider, comforter, father to your children, and your best friend.

Becky R said...

Thanks for your comments. It is a reminder that not doing God's will is usually pretty painful. Thanks for all the prayers and 400 children crossing the field (lol.)

Jeannette said...

I think the funny thing is everyone else has no clue about the 400, gosh I haven't sung that to you in years,, I might have to find that cd I made

Sisters of the Blog said...

Becky,
I'm sorry to hear of this, and yes, it's okay to be sad.

I have songs that transport me to other times and places. Most as you say just bring back memories, although some still can make me cry on occasion.

I thought i was the only one who'd listen to the same song over and over, so i'm glad to know that there's someone else out there who does that, too!

megan