Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Costly Mistakes

I have made some costly mistakes in the past thirty days. I thought I would share so maybe you could avoid them too.

1) Started selling Pampered Chef -$563.25
2) Forgot to return 15 library books -$30.00
3) Did not bring cash to homeschooling convention -$200 (on stuff not on my list)
4) Spent more than I had in my account at homeschool convention -$70

1) I thought starting to sell Pampered Chef would be a good way to make money, and maybe one day it will be. But in the past thirty days I have spent $813.25 on the starter kit, business supplies, and more product, so I could have more to show at my cooking shows. I have made $250 in commission (which I will have direct deposited in my account in June.) I also have earned $415 in free Pampered Chef products. So out of pocket I have actually spent $563.25. Plus I have over $1,200 worth of Pampered Chef product.
I really didn't have an extra $563.25 to spend so having all that product doesn't really ease this costly mistake. Plus I would not have bought all that product anyway (although I do love lots of it.)
Hopefully I can sell some of the free product I got (I still have $300 left in free product) and pay myself back some of the $563.25 I lost.
The real goal is to not buy any more pampered Chef product!

2) In my car I had 15 library books on different states. We used them for state reports, but apparently it has been 40 days since the were due. This cost me $30 in late fees at the library today. Keeping track of when they were due (and even renewing online) would have saved me $30.

3) I decided that I was not going to buy anything at the homeschool convention, so I only brought enough cash to get in, buy lunch, and a drink. Mistake! I spent about $450 at the convention (plus the entrance fee,) $250 on stuff I actually planned to buy for fall. I should have just brought $250 cash (plus the entrance fee.) Because I used my debit card I went overboard and bought stuff I would not have with cash.

4) The worst part was because I was not keeping track I overdrew my checking account, costing me $70. I got charged $35 twice from my bank for these two transactions $13.99 and $10.69. Yikes! Fortunately I had a direct deposit today and my account is all in the clear. But if I had cash and kept better track I would have saved myself $70. I also probably would not have spent the $13.99 and $10.69 in the first place. (By the way I have only overdraft my account three times ever, so this was a shock.)

Have you made any costly mistakes lately? What have you learned and what will you do different next time?

-Becky

1 comments:

Jeannette said...

They are only costly mistakes if you live and learn, sounds to me like you've learned but now you have to apply.
Don't beat yourself of, cash, cash, cash
it works so much better, I have never had any luck selling anything,and trust me I have done a few of the home selling things I have done Avon, purchased over $300 just for me, ended up bouncing a check with them and getting collection notices. Of course that was in my 20's. Good thing I don't have to purchase houses ha ha