Friday, May 28, 2010

My Garden

front view
side view
I finally finished my garden. Soil has been turned over (by Scott and Jason's grandfather, thanks so much,) weed fabric has been put down, and plants are in!

I planted:

cherry tomatoes (some organic, 8 plants total)
regular tomatoes (some organic, 7 plants total)
lettuce (from seed)
radishes (from seed)
carrots (from seed)
eggplant (organic, 2 plants)
peppers (organic, 2 plants)
spearmint (bought plant)
orange mint (bought plant)
apple mint (bought plant)
a purple plant that attracts butterflies (I know I can't eat this)

Some I started from seed. Some I bought as plants, the ones I bought as plants were organic.

Here is what I spent:

$35 weed fabric (which will last years, the roll is huge)
$10 tomato cages (also reusable)
$36 organic veggie plants
$10 organic mulch
$20 organic potting soil (the herbs I put in containers on deck)
$11 butterfly plant
$10 braided tree (also in container on deck)

$132 total

This is not too bad. Last year I got tomatoes for about 10 weeks. I usually spend $5 a week on these alone. That is about $50. Plus if everything else comes up I will defiantly save $132 over summer and early fall to cover the cost of this garden. Next year my garden will cost even less as I will not have to buy weed fabric or tomato cages. Plus I plan on starting all my plants from organic seeds, saving even more money. And in reality my veggie garden was really less, but I wanted butterfly plant and tree, and since I bought together am including in my garden cost.

I also want to buy some marigolds for trim to keep critters out, but I am out of money until June, so we will see.

How is garden going?

-Becky

8 comments:

Denise Punger MD IBCLC said...

WOW!!

Becky R said...

Thanks. I really wanted to plant spinach too, but I guess that will have to wait until next year.

Jeannette said...

wow you put us to shame, I was hoping to get out this morning but the weather is being a pain

enjoy your crop suzy homemaker

Becky R said...

If it was not for Scott and Keith I would not have my garden done.

Abbi said...

Great job! This has been a major gardening week for me too. I wish you lived nearby as I have extra marigold seeds. Once you grow them they are so easy to save seeds on year after year.

GAmomdb said...

Garden looks Great! Just a word of caution though. Mint spreads like crazy and will take over your entire garden in a pretty short time. You might want to try it in pots or somewhere in your yard rather than in your veggie garden. I have a big pot of mint on my deck and it seems pretty happy.
Keep us posted on your garden's progress. Happy munching
Donna

Becky R said...

Abbi, You will have to tell me how to save seeds, I have never actually done that.

Donna, the mint I planted in containers on my deck, because I also read how quickly it spreads. Thanks!

Sisters of the Blog said...

Becky,
If you want to save seeds, you have to make sure that the plants you're growing aren't F1 hybrids. Because if they are and you save those seeds, the seeds may not mimic the parent plant. Just because they're organic plants doesn't mean that you'll be able to save the seeds. Wanted to point that out, as i've opted for commerically grown seed that's an open-pollinated and have saved seed and grown my own successfully.

With tomatoes, save a tomato you like. Early tomatoes have fewer seeds than later ones (if you're growing an indeterminate variety), so later ones are easier from the number of seeds you get from one fruit. But, if you're more interested in earlier yields then you want to save the seeds from the first plant that ripens.

Collect the seeds. allow them to dry out (I use paper towelling for this with good results), and once they're dry, store in a cool, dry place. I stick mine i the fridge.

hth,
megan