Thursday, May 6, 2010

Shampoo Free

I tried an experiment to give up shampoo and conditioner. I did this to save money, plus I do not like all the chemicals in shampoo, and can't afford the pricey organic / natural stuff.

No, my hair is not all a funk. I have been using the no poo method (why they come up with that name I'll never know.) Anyway you can read all about it here. But the jist of it is I wash my hair with old fashion baking soda mixed in water (about a teaspoon) and rinse with apple cider vinegar diluted with water (about a tablespoon.)

I have been doing this for over a month (including on my trip to Ohio and Washington D.C.) Honestly I don't think my hair looks or feels any different. Also it really feels clean. Plus I only have to wash it every other or even every few days, as it stays cleaner longer. I do need a trim, my ends are a bit split, but that was even before I gave up store bought shampoo.

The one downside is I have a very sensitive head and it is a bit knottier as I brush it, which hurts at times, but not enough to give up this new method.

I usually spend $10 on shampoo that last me 2 months or $60 a year. Now I am spending $1.00 for baking soda and another $2.00 for the apple cider vinegar which will probably last all year. Saving me about $58.00 a year is pretty good. Plus I am not putting all those chemicals on my head.

Trust me the vinegar smell goes away very quickly! And not one person has said my hair looks dirty or different all month. So I am going to continue with this method.

What do you think?

-Becky

3 comments:

Kat said...

I heard of this and semi-considered it. I just don’t know if it would work on my head.. For starters how do you was your hair with baking soda. Is it dry or wet when you put it on your head? What about conditioner. I don’t see how I could give that up. It makes my hair soft and tangle free.

Becky R said...

I dilute one teaspoon baking soda in warm water in this little plastic container then I pour on my hair.

I then rinse.

Next I dilute about a tablespoon apple cider vinegar with warm water and pour it in my hair. I let it sit about a minute, then I rinse.


I style as usual. Which for me means brushing my hair and letting it air dry.

Kevin Surbaugh said...

hmmm, interesting. Never heard of this method. I have in the past used my bar of soap to wash my hair, but not baking soda and cider vinegar. My biggest concern (which you tried to address) would be the smell. Even after you addressed that concern, I still have that concern. Guess I kinda doubt it. Perhaps, I will have to try iy sometime, but I have several bottles of shampoo around here already,