Saturday, August 21, 2010

Art mini camp

I love the look of tie dye. This picture just says a relaxing summer day.














Today I had another mini camp at my house. I had nine kids, plus my two. (eleven total.) The three older ones (14, 12, & 11 years old) were my helpers (Jason was the 12 year old.) I pay each helper $5 (I know it's not a lot, but I do appreciate them and want to show it.)

The kids had a blast.

We made our own paper by recycling used paper.




















paper drying in the sun, it will be ready in about 24 hours
















We made our own bubble soap and added food coloring, which we blew onto paper taped to the wall. The colors stayed on the paper when the bubbles popped.
blowing colored bubbles












bubble solution









Joshua came up with another idea




















We painted boxes that would have been headed for the trash, later we used this to make a sculpture. I taught the kids we can try and reuse stuff before we throw it away.





















We had snack.

We tie dyed shirts and pillowcases. The kids really enjoyed this.

one of me assistants helping our youngest camper tie dye













We made silly puppets out of brown paper bags that the kids thought would make better hats.
We had lunch (pizza courtesy of one of the moms.)
We made paper airplanes and footballs.
We colored some butterflies.
And we used air dry clay to make whatever the kids wanted. Molding just as Jesus molds our lives (if we let Him)




















We also had free play and played dart tag, jumped on the trampoline, and played Polly Pocket in the house (the kids split into groups during free time.)

I do charge for this camp, but my real goal is to give my kids a camp experience (and teach them stuff) while they get to spend time with friends. The second goal is to give my friends a break (camp is 10-3 and the parents drop the kids off.)

This is the break down:
$94 -income from kids (of course I didn't pay for mine, one mom paid me $12 a child for her two kids.)

Expenses:
$15 paying youth helpers
$39 supplies (tie dye, clay, paper, etc.)
$54 total

$94
-$54
$40 profit (this is for 5 hours work with kids, plus all prep time, planning, shopping, etc.)

After tithe I am left with $30, which is what Jason needed to go to laser tag with the church youth group today. So I am glad to be able to send him.

Overall it was a great day. Next week will be a beach party theme. Stay tuned to see how it goes.

-Becky

3 comments:

Jeannette said...

What a creative project!
I wonder what your neighbor thought, ha ha

jackson's mama said...

SO great! I wish we lived nearby, I would definitely bring Jackson by for a day of "becky camp!"

Becky R said...

Jeannette (aka mom)
My neighbor was on stand by watching both camps. She also was ease dropping as I talked to parents afterwards. No harm done though.

Jackson's Mama
I would love to have Jackson at Camp Becky.