Sunday, August 15, 2010

Whole wheat homemade tortilla's

I just made my first batch of dough for whole wheat tortillas. After paying about $6 for them ready made at Whole Foods, I had to try something else.

The recipe is:

10 cups whole wheat flour (I ground mine myself)
1 tb. plus 1 tsp. salt
1 cup melted butter
4 cups water

mix flour and salt
melt butter
add butter, stir while adding
add water, stir while adding
let dough sit 2 hours

preheat pan or griddle (do not add butter or spray, leave it dry)
make balls with dough
roll out balls into thin circle
cook on heated griddle or frying pan 1-2 min. per side, watch carefully they cook quickly

I am still in the wait 2 hours faze, so I can't attest to how they will taste. I hope if I leave them overnight they will be ok, because it is 11pm and I am exhausted. I will update tomorrow on how they turn out.

-Becky

update:
These were fine leaving to sit overnight. I made about 10 large tortillas with this recipe. It was hard for me to roll into circles, so I have some odd shaped tortillas, I guess this comes with practice. I think they taste yummy, but will see when I make tacos with them tomorrow night. My boys swear they will not try them. They do not look like the white tortillas they are are used to, but since I am done with white flour, they may come around.

0 comments: